Thinking about buying the latest iPad? Are you thinking twice? Rumors have it that an iPhone 5 is coming out in September. Why suffer anxiety? It’s not worth it and feel guilty at the same time. Gadgets are supposed to operate life easier (if not complicated!) and getting one should not be complicated – if you do your research.
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus even after an office-full of peers are telling me to buy an iPad. What’s with all the fad? The fuss? The pressure?
It took me three months to think and weigh my options and I have five reasons to share why an Android tablet is better for me (Note: Based on a typical lower, middle-class, Filipino, urban professional, family man like me) :
- Very handy/Security – iPad’s 10-inch screen is just too big for me to grasp. Add the aluminum body and that makes it more difficult for me to secure it with one hand. Buy a casing for it? An iPad case would probably cost me about Php2,500.00 (US$50 = Php43-US$1). Note: A 7-inch Galaxy Tab or MediaPad, however, would fit my belt bag fine. A case would cost me Php1,800 if I want one. Otherwise, my hand could easily grip it)
- It’s Google/Android – What can I say? Google is Android is Google, which means I have this security that all my addresses will sync with my Gmail contacts. Yes, Apple can connect with Google but not as automatic when you own an Android. Peace of mind, I tell yah. By the way, did I mention compatibility with Google Documents too? (Note: With a large community of Android users, more apps and more ideas can crop up that can make user-experience better!)
- Price – Why spend Php27,000 (US$629) when today’s gadget gets antiquated after two years? I’m more comfortable shelling out Php23,000 (or lower at times!) without having to worry if it gets old in three years. I’ll be more than happy it will reach more than three years before I buy a new tablet.
- Features – All of Samsung’s and Huawei’s 7-inch ‘pads are 3G-ready, SD Card-ready, and has this killer function called, “Swype” that Apple is trying to replicate. Yes, iPhone 4s has Siri but if you don’t have a western accent then Siri doesn’t know you. Sad.
- Variety – so many brands to choose from: Samsung, HTC, Huawei, Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Acer’s Iconia, Asus’ Eee, and a lot more others.
Bottomline: Practically speaking, if your ending salary (net of your monthly commitments and bills) is thirty grand (US$700), buy an iPad (4G version). Me? I need not look further. I checked my loved ones, I checked my wallet, and I checked out my pride. If my reason is to just get on the bandwagon, then I should ask what else I can do with my Php27,000? Heck, I could probably wait for a little longer and get myself to the fifty thousand mark. By then it wouldn’t hurt to get a gadget with that price without denting my savings that much.
I chose not to ride the bandwagon. I checked my lifestyle and realized if a tablet is for me because a Notebook, a Laptop, or even a startup Smartphone would do just fine – for now.